Saturday, October 1, 2005

I began learning Unity. I was sort of faced with a huge obstacle: I had never really programmed before besides the severely limited visual scripting from my old RPG engine. Also, 3D applications were completely new to me. Together this made it a bit like trying to build something in pitch black darkness. I knew I had to push forward though, even if I didn't understand it all until quite later. Due to this a cycle of learning sort of evolved that I still sometimes use to this day. Looking back I think I can say that this is how I learn:


  1. Examine a problem.
  2. Use my best guesses of what is relevant to try to look up information on the subject.
  3.  Make guesses about how to apply what I information I have.
  4.  Try a solution.
  5.  Try to make sense of how the solution failed, and make guesses about other methods that might work, taking into account everything I know so far.
  6.  Inquire with a relevant community about the problem.
  7. Go back to step 2.